Nicole Lapin is a very busy woman, but she knows the importance of relaxation. She is a huge proponent of leaving work at work and using your time at home to decompress. Here are a few of her favorite tips.
- When you get home from work, take a break from your phone, computer, or tablet. This will allow you to fully unwind so that you can be present at home. Don’t check your work email unless you really need to, she declares!
- Exercise your brain. Do a crossword puzzle, read a book, or use one of Nicole’s favorite apps like Headspace or Calm. She also suggests using the app Happier for short, guided meditations. Keeping your brain sharp will help in all areas of life.
- Work on what you would be doing if you didn’t have to go to work. Whatever your passion is, Nicole suggests using down time to learn about it, work on it, and make it happen! Whether this is writing a novel, learning about nail art, or opening a bakery, you can relax by spending time doing something you love.
- Start journaling. It will help you become mindful and learn about yourself. Nicole loves journaling because it helps her reset and plan for the next day to seize. There are online and old school options, just find one that works for you.
- Find a podcast to listen to. There are podcasts to help you relax, ones that can teach you about a whole new subject, or ones that could help you get ahead in your career. Plus, most of them are free, which means you can mix and match depending on your mood!
- Network by doing unusual workouts. Using the ClassPass app, Nicole finds a different, fun workout for her networking group to do each month. She says it’s a great bonding exercise, and will create more lasting memories than pricey drinks or dinners would.
- Learn something new. Nicole wants us to take Steve Jobs’ advice: skills that have nothing to do with your job can help you the most. Sign up for a fun class that fits into your schedule, maybe once a week or even once a month. Nicole loves learning new skills because they help refresh our minds, and meeting new people outside of your usual circle is always helpful.
By making more time for relaxation, you will be refreshed and ready to tackle any new project when you get to work. Plus her tips for learning new things and meeting new people will be great for career advancement!
Photograph and tips courtesy of nicolelapin.com